Friday, November 7, 2014
Greetings BUF Families,
It is that time again for an update about what is happening for children and youth at BUF!
- Note about children starting up front in the sanctuary...
- Martinmas Activities, 11/9 and 11/12
- Children's Choir Rehearsals
- Mandatory Coming of Age Orientation, 11/16
- Challenge Course (date/time TBD)
- Middle School Lock In, 11/22-11/23
Children Starting in the Service on the Dais
You may have noticed that we have had children begin the service up front on the dais a few times. We are attempting to make room in the pews because attendance at BUF has been so high recently-- what a wonderful problem to have! We will be trying this going forward, on all the Sundays that are 1) Not Children's Worship Sundays (when we begin in the flex room already) and 2) When we are not having a fully multigenerational service (like our Halloween service) when they will need a comfortable place to be for the whole time. I will continue my efforts to usher children up front until we all get used to this. Please feel free to sit up front with your child if that would be helpful. If you have questions or feedback-- please let me know!
3rd Anual Martinmas Celebration-- please note the several related activities below:
Sunday, November 9-- Children's Worship Service
Children in grades K-5 will come directly to the Flex Room on Sunday, at 10:30, for a special Children's Worship Service. We will re-enact some of the wonderful works of St. Martin, sing special Martinmas songs, share our own reflections, take/honor our collection of children's clothing and linens for Lydia Place, and take a special monetary collection for an organization to be voted on by the children in June.
Special RE Activities
- Children's Clothing and Linen Drive: We have been advertising a children's clothing and linen drive-- some donations have already come in-- we are still accepting more through Wednesday, November 12. Especially needed: Pillows and pillow cases, Twin sheets, Full sized sheets, Individual room fans, Shower curtains, and bath mats for 4 bathrooms.
- Lantern Making Activity, Sunday, November 9-- after the Children's Worship service children will be invited to make candle lanterns that can be used during our Lantern Parade.
Wednesday, November 12: RE Sponsored Community Night Dinner...
- Lantern Making before dinner from 5:00 to 6:00(especially for children who were unable to come on Sunday to make their lanterns).
- Dinner from 6:00-7:00-- the plan for dinner is lentil soup (half vegetarian, half with Italian sausage), assorted breads (including gluten-free), carrot salad, green salad, and cinnamon apples (apples cut into cross-sections, dusted with cinnamon, and baked -- looks like a real "dessert" but is unsweetened.)
- Lantern Parade-- some time between 6:30 and 7:00-- when children have finished eating. We will walk the neighborhood with our lanterns and sing the Martinmas songs that we learned on Sunday
How You Can Help!
- Parent Volunteers, we need a few parent volunteers on Sunday morning so I can give the regular RE Teachers the day off. Please contact Crystal Neva, if you are able to help!
- We need help with dinner prep! This is an RE sponsored event so we are recruiting parents and children who are available to help with cooking. Please go to the following link and scroll down to 11/12 dinner to sign up! http://www.signupgenius.
Children's Choir Rehearsals
Sundays, in the Sanctuary, 11:45-12:30
Children's Choir rehearsals will continue this month-- we will focus the first one on Martinmas music in continued preparation for our Martinmas Lantern Parade on November 12. Subsequent rehearsals will help children prepare for our Holiday Pageant on 12/21 and for one of our probably two Christmas Eve services-- more information about that coming soon....
Mandatory Coming of Age Orientation!
November, 16, 12:00ish, Flex Room
This orientation is for youth, mentors, and parents. All youth participants should already be confirmed-- mentor selections are well underway. Lunch will be provided!
Coming of Age Challenge Course for Youth and Mentors
Date and time to be determined....
Parents of youth and mentors will receive a doodle from me to come up with a date for this event-- our original date fell through with Camp Lutherwood!
Middle School Lock-In
Saturday, November 22-November 23, 6:00 p.m. to 10:30 a.m.
All middle school youth are invited to spend the night at BUF on Saturday, November 22! The group will eat dinner together, play games, watch movies, make mischief.... This is a great bonding activity for coming age youth as well as the rest of the class. I will send a list of what your youth should bring... to middle school families. Please let me know if you don't hear from me in the next week or so!
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
It's that time again for an update about what is going on in Children's Programs at BUF!
We have had a strong start this fall! I hope you are enjoying the RE Minutes at the beginning of the worship services. It is nice to have an opportunity to let the whole community know about the great things your children and youth are doing! I am also enjoying the stories and absolutely loving that our kids don't have to sit through announcements anymore!
Of course the pesky announcements still need to be made so we all know what is going on; so... here is your update for the upcoming month.
Read on to learn more about:
· RE Registration Update
· All Church Retreat 10/3-10/5
· Mandatory Parent Information Meeting for OWL for Children in Grades 4-5—(10/6)
· RE Sponsored Community Night Dinner and Dia De Los Muertos (10/8)
· Children's Worship Service (10/12)
· Mandatory Parent Child Orientation for OWL for Children in Grades 4-5 (10/12)
· Kids Feeding Kids Sunday (10/19)
· Middle School Visits Christ the King (10/19)
· Middle School and High School Create BUF's traditional Haunted House (10/19)
· Fall Harvest Festival (10/25)
· Multigenerational Worship Service (10/26)
· Find Your Place at BUF (10/26)
· Coming of Age... it's coming!
RE Registration Update
We have had a good response to our Registration push this fall, however there are still many regular attendees who are not registered yet.
It is important for our records that you fill out a registration form for each church year (good from September-June). Please check with Crystal if you are unsure if your child is registered or not!
All Church Retreat
Friday, October 3-5, Camp Kirby
Our Whole Lives (OWL)—Values Based Human Sexuality Curriculum for Children in Grades 4-5
Considered by many parents to be the single most important thing we offer our children! This 8-week curriculum gives 4th and 5th grade children age appropriate, accurate, and relationship based information about puberty and sexuality. Don’t let your child miss out on this great opportunity—come to the parent meeting to find out more!
- Mandatory Parent Information Meeting—Monday, October 6, 7:00 pm
- Mandatory Parent Child Orientation—Sunday, October 12, 6:30-8:30
- Class Sessions for Children—Sundays from October 19 through December 7 from 6:30-8:00
Children’s Worship—Hunger In Our Community
Sunday, October 12, 10:30 am
Children in grades K-5 begin upstairs in the Flex Room for a special worship service just for them. We will have these monthly on second Sundays. Children play music for each other, interact about things that matter, and participate in a special collection. We collect money all year long in a jar and in June we vote on an agency to donate our money to.
Kids Feeding Kids Sunday
Sunday, October 19, 10:30
Children will help bring up the food collection this week in honor of our efforts to supply the Bellingham Food Bank with at least 1000 units of baby food during the month of October. This ritual is especially effective and meaningful if the children and youth of the congregation actually bring food on this day! Food donations can be brought any time and left in the baskets by the front doors.
Middle School Church Visit-- Christ the King!
Sunday, October 19, (arrive at BUF by 10:30 am) to carpool over in time for their 11:15 service.
Our middle school class always incorporates church visits in their curriculum to explore many faith traditions and ponder the role religion plays in our lives. This is one of the most interesting and memorable aspects of my UU education when I was that age. I hope your youth can make it!
Haunted House Creation!
Sunday, October 19, 12:30-3:00 pm
Middle school and high school youth are invited to create our traditional haunted house! We will operate the Haunted House during the Fall Festival and the Sunday before Halloween! All youth are encouraged to participate!
Multigenerational Worship-- Strangers as Guides!
Sunday, October 26, 10:30
BUF members and friends of all ages will worship together in this festive holiday service! All BUFsters are encouraged to come in costume and participate in our annual costume parade!
Find Your Place at BUF
Sunday, October 26, 11:45...
This event happens concurrently with coffee hour. Leaders/representatives from BUF's programs, groups, and committees .. host a table in the social hall to give people more information about their group. Be sure to check it out!
Coming of Age...
This is an extracurricular program for youth in grades 7-8. Our program begins with a Mandatory Orientation for Youth, Parents and Adult Mentors on November 16th at 12:30 pm. Parents and eligible youth will receive a special invitation to participate with a request of a commitment by mid-late October. How will I know your son/daughter is in 7th or 8th grade and is potentially interested? Why he/she will be registered in our program, of course!
Hope you enjoy this beautiful season!